Pressures sores can be painful and difficult to heal — and can negatively impact your quality of life. Left untreated, pressure sores (also called “pressure ulcers,” “bed sores,” “pressure points,” or “decubitus ulcers”) can lead to months of bed rest and even hospitalization.
GlideWear Skin Protection Underwear are designed for people who spend much of the day sitting or laying down, especially people with reduced sensation (lack of feeling) below their waist. The GlideWear zone protects the buttocks, tailbone, coccyx, sacrum, and ischial tuberosities (“sit bones”) from the harmful friction and shear which cause pressure sores.
How GlideWear Skin Protection Underwear Work
GlideWear Skin Protection Underwear use a patented, dual-layer fabric technology to protect skin and reduce the friction and shear that cause pressure sores. Seams are very flat and strategically placed away from high-risk areas. The result is a comfortable, breathable pair of underwear that protects you from the friction and shear that redness, pressure sores, and skin breakdown.
“I immediately felt a difference in how my skin felt after getting into my wheelchair in the morning… I have noticed a significant reduction in red marks on my skin and heat rash bumps were all but gone. I have since ordered six additional pairs.”
Jason in Minnesota
When you buy GlideWear Skin Protection Underwear, you’re not just buying a pair of underwear. You’re buying a tool that reduces the friction and shear that cause debilitating pressure sores.
GlideWear Underwear are Ideal for:
- Wheelchair users who experience redness, pain, or skin breakdown on the buttocks or tailbone — especially those with spinal cord injury (SCI) and/or reduced sensation
- Seniors with limited mobility who spend much of the day in bed, sitting, or using a wheelchair
- People recovering from surgery who spend all or much of the day in bed
- Teens and adults with epidermolysis bullosa who have blisters from friction/sitting
The Cost of a Pressure Sore
Pressure sores can be life threatening. (Christopher Reeve, best known as “Superman,” died of pressure sore-related complications.) Pressure sores, which often start out as red marks on bony parts of your tailbone area, can go from non-existent to debilitating in a matter of hours. They’re especially common in people with reduced sensation, including those with spinal cord injury, and seniors in long-term care, hospice, or home care.
Pressure sores significantly reduce wheelchair users’ and seniors’ mobility and quality of life. They can mean you’re at home, in bed, instead of going to work or spending time with your family. Even in a young, healthy person, a pressure sore can take months — or even years — to heal. During those months, someone with a pressure sore is often on mandatory bed rest for the majority of the day. Being proactive about pressure sores is essential.
Wonderful product. After having a problem with several sores using the Glidewear has really reduced the shearing issues that were continually giving me skin breakdown. A little bit of a pain to put on each day but it seems to be working very well and keeping me out of the hospital! A nice snug fit means that wrinkled up pants can’t dig in to my thigh and butt. I’ve gone commando for over 20 years and as I get older apparently my skin really needs this protection and it’s working very well so far.
Noel B., GlideWear Skin Protection Underwear customer
30-Day, 100% Money Back Guarantee & 1 Year Warranty
When you buy GlideWear Skin Protection Underwear, you’re not just buying a pair of underwear. You’re buying a tool that reduces the friction and shear that cause painful, debilitating pressure sores. If you get one pressure sore or bed sore, you’re at a higher risk for getting another one in the future. Try GlideWear Underwear, risk-free.
Put GlideWear to the test. Use your GlideWear Skin Protection Underwear for up to 30 days, risk free. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied, return your GlideWear Underwear for a full refund. We guarantee that GlideWear products will be free from defects in workmanship and materials under normal use for a period of one year from the original purchase date. Read all guarantee and warranty information.
Don’t wait. Invest in a long-term skin protection solution – buy GlideWear Underwear today.
Pressure Sore Facts
- Up to 79% of people with spinal cord injury who get one pressure sore will get another one. (Source)
- A pressure sore can develop in as little as 2 hours. (Source)
- A pressure sore can keep you out of your chair, on bed rest, and at home for months. (Source)
- Young, healthy people get pressure sores, too.
- Up to 30% of people with spinal cord injury have a pressure sore right now. (Source)
- It costs $20,900 to $151,700 to treat one pressure ulcer. (Source)
Note: Contains photos of wounds and pressure sores / bed sores.
- Preventing Pressure Injuries: Intervention with the Adjunctive Treatment of a Textile Friction Reduction Material.Frank Aviles, Jr., PT, CWS, FACCWS, CLT, Natchitoches Regional Medical Center, Natchitoches, LA.
- IAD: Can Reducing Friction and Shear Heal and Prevent Recurrence? Sheila Howes-Trammel, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC, CWCN, CCCN, CFCN, CLNC, Hennepin Country Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN.
- Using Strategic Friction Reduction to Prevent and Treat Pressure Injuries. Sheila Howes-Trammel, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC, CWCN, CCCN, CFCN, CLNC, Hennepin Country Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN.
- Garments for Friction Management for Wheelchair or Extended Bed Surface Users. Mark Payette, CO, ATP; J. Martin Carlson, MS, CPO; Wieland Kaphingst, Dipl.-Ing, BMT. Tamarack Habilitation Technologies, Inc., Minneapolis, MN.
Questions? Give Us a Call
We have an expert team of clinical and customer service specialists to answer any question you have about size, fit, and whether the GlideWear Skin Protection Underwear are right for you. Call us at 763-795-0057 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.