You want the best for your patients. So do we. Learn how GlideWear can help your patients with pressure ulcers, diabetic foot problems, hair loss, wounds, and skin trauma.
As a healthcare provider, you strive to find the best products and tools to help your patients. Whether you’re a wound care nurse, prosthetist, orthotist, podiatrist, or another type of healthcare provider, GlideWear offers innovative solutions to the common health problems your patients face.
What is GlideWear?
GlideWear is a patented, dual-layer, low-friction fabric technology that provides immediate relief and lasting protection from the friction and shear that can cause pressure ulcers, calluses, blisters, hair loss & scalp damage in wheelchair users, and other forms of skin tissue trauma.
GlideWear products have been used by healthcare providers and patients since 2010 to prevent the friction and shear that cause pressure ulcers in wheelchair seating applications. More recently, the GlideWear team has developed revolutionary new products for amputees, wheelchair users, individuals with neuropathic foot deformities and wounds, and in long-term care facilities. The patented GlideWear technology protects skin by significantly reducing friction and shear, which are leading causes of skin breakdown.
Meet Our Clinical Educators
Mark is a certified orthotist with more than 25 years of patient care experience, specializing in custom orthotic wheelchair seating. Providing these services was a joy and passion for Mark. He has been with Tamarack since its inception, except for the 4 year time period that Tamarack clinical services was owned by a large local hospital corporation. Mark has since returned to Tamarack and, while missing direct client services, now enjoys the opportunity and challenges of new product development.
With over 20 years of clinical experience, Caroline has credentials as an occupational therapist and nursing home administrator from the University of Minnesota. Caroline has specialty credentials as an Assistive Technology Professional, Seating Mobility Specialist, and MS Clinical Specialist. Caroline is a graduate of Macalester Collage, and she recently obtained her MBA from Saint Catherine University. She initially worked as a custom seating practitioner at Tamarack starting in 1998, and re-joined Tamarack in 2017. Caroline is excited to focus on clinical service and education with a research and development focus.
Complimentary Services Provided by the GlideWear Clinical Team
Tamarack Habilitation Technologies, Inc., the manufacturer of GlideWear, has clinical expertise available to assist caregivers or individuals with using Tamarack skin protection technologies including the standard applications as can be seen in our catalog or on our website, or for unique challenges that might require that a custom intervention be developed. Mark Payette, CO, ATP and Caroline Portoghese, OTR/L, ATP/SMS are available for phone or email communications.
No charge on-site consultation can be arranged for individual cases in our local vicinity (Minnesota). Please contact Mark Payette, CO, ATP, or Caroline Portoghese, OTR/L, ATP/SMS if you would like to make a referral to discuss a situation with a client in the private or clinic setting at 763-759-0057 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trainings and Inservices
Tamarack Clinicians also offer educational inservices for professional caregivers which can present the science of friction and shear as well as to detail the product lines for understanding best uses and opportunities for protecting the skin of persons who are in long term care settings (and in bed a significant percentage of time), having diabetic neuropathic foot callus and wound problems, or who use a wheelchair.
Products featuring GlideWear technology include:
- Forefoot Protection Socks
- Heel & Ankle Protector Sockss
- Skin Protection Underwear
- Wheelchair Cushion Cover & Wheelchair Headrest Cover
- Prosthetic Liner Patches
- Above-Knee Prosthetic Brim Sheaths
- Scalp and Head Protection Pillowcase
White Papers, Case Studies, and Further Reading
- Preventing Pressure Injuries: Intervention with the Adjunctive Treatment of a Textile Friction Reduction Material. Frank Aviles, Jr., PT, CWS, FACCWS, CLT, Natchitoches Regional Medical Center, Natchitoches, LA.
- Does Friction/Shear Reducing Low Friction Fabric in Total Contact Cast (TCC) and Charcot Restraint Orthotic Walker (CROW) Enhance Wound Healing and Safety? Jan Chevrette, FNP-CWOCN, CFCN, Regions Wound Clinic, St. Paul, MN; Ulrich Schmidt, CPO, Winkley Orthotics & Prosthetics, Minneapolis, MN.
- IAD: Can Reducing Friction and Shear Heal and Prevent Recurrence? Sheila Howes-Trammel, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC, CWCN, CCCN, CFCN, CLNC, Hennepin Country Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN.
- Using Strategic Friction Reduction to Prevent and Treat Pressure Injuries. Sheila Howes-Trammel, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC, CWCN, CCCN, CFCN, CLNC, Hennepin Country Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN.
- Garments for Friction Management for Wheelchair or Extended Bed Surface Users. Mark Payette, CO, ATP; J. Martin Carlson, MS, CPO; Wieland Kaphingst, Dipl.-Ing, BMT. Tamarack Habilitation Technologies, Inc., Minneapolis, MN.
- Wheelchair Seating: Whitepaper Preventing and Treating Decubitus Ulcers with Friction, Shear, and Pressure Management
- Preventing Pressure Injuries: Intervention with the Adjunctive Treatment of a Textile Friction Reduction Material
- GlideWear Case Studies for Preventing and Healing Ulcers, Calluses, and Wounds
- Considerations for Using GlideWear Searing Interface Technology (GlideWear Wheelchair Cushion Cover)
If you have specific questions about how to use GlideWear products or which products are right for your patients, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or call 763-795-0057 (866-795-0057 toll-free in the USA).